An almost museli - fruit and nut granola

Breakfast is one of the most important meal to kick start a day packed with energy. Here, we both prefer a nutrient rich and light breakfast. I used to buy this breakfast cereal to eat in the morning with milk, we used to always find it very sticky and too soft once you pour milk over it. Then I saw many recipes for something called granola, I did know what museli was and I loved it for breakfast with some cut apples in it. It was just a "perfect" way to start a day for me !




I just felt that most of the granola recipes had too much sugar and oil (may be butter also) in it. I got this really good recipe for a granola here, from Meeta at What's for lunch, honey?.
Oh yea, I did tweak the recipe here and there to suit our tastes. I am giving here the final version of the recipe that I usually make when we want a good museli at home.



These are what you need to make a hearty granola,

5 cereal mix, rolled - 400 gms
Cranberries, raisins, apricots and dates - 145 gms
Figs, almonds, pistachios and walnuts - 140 gms
Sunflower seeds - 90 gms
Cinnamon, ground - 2/3 tsp
Raw cane sugar - 90 gms
Molasses - 20 gms (1 Tbsp)
Water - 25 gms
Oil - 1/3 tsp (I used rape seed oil)

1. Preheat the oven at 160 deg C. Line a sheet tray with baking paper. 

2. In a big pan mix the sugar, molasses, water and oil. Heat it and keep stirring it to make it a homogeneous mixture and to help the sugar dissolve. Remove from the heat as soon as the sugar has dissolved.

3. To the sugar mixture add the 5 rolled cereal mix, chopped figs (only it they are too wet), chopped almonds, pistachios and walnuts, sunflower seeds and ground cinnamon. Mix well to nicely coat all the cereal and nuts as much as possible.

4. Spread this mixture on the lined baking tray. Bake for 30 mins or till the cereal starts looking lightly browned. Mix the baking mixture 2 - 3 times, so that they are all equally browned.

5. As soon as the baked cereal mixture is removed from the oven, tip in rest of the dry fruits (chopped if needed like the apricots). Mix well and let it cool completely before storing it in a container.



Serving suggestions: Eat as a morning cereal, sprinkle over milkshakes, use to layer parfaits, you can even add some to your home made icecream, oh! I can go on..... :P

Have fun baking :)



Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Comments

  1. Love this granola- it looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade granola is so delicious! Yours looks fabulous.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Have a great time !!

Popular Posts